(812) 723-3905

Victims Speak

Robbins applauds effort to end bullying

The statistics say that someone, in a small group of students, is likely the victim of a bully.

That means when you are sitting in class, the people sitting in front of you, and on both sides of you might not be the victims of a bully – but you may be.

According to bullyingstatistics.org, about one fourth of the children in the U.S. are bullied on a regular basis. In some cases, bullying causes kids to go as far as taking their own lives.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) victims of bullies are two to nine percent more likely to commit suicide.

These numbers are alarming.

Our administration is taking steps to stop bullying.

At PHS, any student who is written up for bullying will receive a three-day suspension, but only if the incident is actually classified as bullying.

The administration defines bullying as: overt, repeated acts or gestures by a student or group of students against another with the intent to harass, ridicule, humiliate, intimidate or harm the other student.

This definition is located in the student handbook and also states that bullying of any kind will not be tolerated. Students who are in violation are subject to immediate disciplinary consequences which could include suspension or expulsion.

If the incident occurs again the student will be dealt with depending on the severity of the incident.

According to Bullying Legislation Updates this year all the schools in Indiana have been required to provide training to the school corporation’s employees and volunteers who have direct, ongoing contact with students concerning bullying prevention.

Schools have also all been required to have an age appropriate, research based instruction focusing on bullying prevention for all students. Instruction may be given by a school safety specialist, school counselor, or any other person with training or expertise in the area of bullying prevention and intervention.

Bullying is just a way for some kids to make themselves feel better, and put others down. In my opinion, our community and our school needs to do more to prevent bullying. Enough is enough.

Story by Riley Robbins