AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Battle of the Brain

Ramsey adjusts to life with new diagnosis

Senior Nikki Ramsey is an ordinary student who is living with an extraordinary disease. Ramsey has been living with the recent diagnosis of epilepsy since April of this year.
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder which can cause sudden convulsions and can cause loss of consciousness. Since her diagnosis, Ramsey has had a total of three seizures.
The after effects of a seizure have taken a toll on Ramsey.
“I occasionally get really dizzy, but it usually passes. I also get really bad headaches. After a seizure I feel really wore out, it feels like I haven’t slept in days,” said Ramsey.
Like many neurological conditions, epilepsy has its triggers.
“I have to be careful on what I watch or hear about. I am not able to watch gory things or see anything like that. When people tell stories about physical pain, it’s almost like I can feel it and it puts me into a seizure,” said Ramsey.
Living with this condition has put a few obstacles in front of Ramsey.
A typical person living with extreme epilepsy is not permitted to drive unless having gone a period of time without having a seizure.
“I am not put on any restrictions currently. My doctor said that since my condition is not major so I can drive as long as I’m feeling okay and not getting dizzy,” said Ramsey.
Epilepsy is a diagnosis Ramsey will have to deal with for the rest of her life. With the help of medications like Lamotrigine, her seizures can be prevented and she should be able to live a normal day to day life.
“I will have to live with this the rest of my life. My case is not as bad as people make it out to  be, though. I should be fine as long as I stay away from gory stuff,” said Ramsey.
Even though Ramsey can get a small hold on her disease now, there are some future factors that she will have no control over.
“Later on in the future if I decide to have children, there may be a chance that they will have epilepsy too, because it’s a genetic disorder,” said Ramsey. “I would also like to add that epilepsy is not caused by weight, diet or anything like that. Mine is genetic.”
Epilepsy is a disorder Ramsey will have to face for the rest of her life. With the right medication and following doctor recommendations, Ramsey hopes to tackle the obstacles epilepsy throws at her with no problem.

Ramsey4Story by: Brooklyn Dotts

Photo by: Keisha Levi