Lady Rams Continue Ram Readers

The team has started doing Ram Readers, which was something that the Paoli football team did as well.

Carley Higgins, Paolite Staff Writer

This year was the start of what hopes to be a new tradition for the Lady Rams basketball team. The team has started doing Ram Readers, which was something that the Paoli football team did as well. Ram Readers is when the athletes go down to Throop Elementary and read to students.

“My hope is that my players realize and understand that they are role models to our Throop Elementary kids and that they can make a difference in these kids’ lives. We have a lot of little Rams that look up to our high school girls and look forward to seeing them.” said varsity girls basketball head coach Donovan Crews.

The players are selected by the teachers who were picked to have the team read to them. Each teacher has one or two players come down to their room, and read a pre-selected book to read to the class.

Ram Readers Girls_GARCIA by Nadia Villavicencio-Garcia

“My first graders look forward to having the girls come to our room! They ask me each week if they are coming! Having High School students come visit makes them feel special and loved,” said Marci Payton. Payton is one of the teachers who has players come down to read.

The players go down to Throop Elementary once a week, every Friday, during the school’s homeroom time; 10:35 to 11:10 a.m. Some of the classes have started recognizing this, and they will get excited when they see their reader come into class.

“I love going to Ram Readers at Throop. I always look forward to it throughout the week. It is one of the best parts of my day and I know the kids look forward to it, too.” said senior player River Fleming

The team hopes to continue this new activity throughout the year, and years to follow.