AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Newsmakers: Rookie Teacher Takes Over for Crews’s Class

We have been covering many new teachers and students at school lately and learning many new things about them. Another new teacher that has begun teaching is Casey Bough.

Bough currently teaches seventh grade science class where her classes are averaging out 19 to 30 students a class. This will be Bough’s second year teaching.

Before coming to PHS, Bough taught at NorthWood High School in Nappanee for a year. During this time she taught freshman physical education and seventh grade science as a substitute teacher for 12 weeks.

Bough attended NorthWood as a high school student before returning to teach there.  She also attended Indiana University where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Kinesiology.  Her family still lives in Nappanee. She has one younger brother named Mike.  Bough is a huge college basketball and football fan and in her free time she enjoys reading and working out.

“I became interested in teaching when both my parents were great educators. Their passion for becoming positive influences in the lives of their students encouraged me to do the same.”

Bough’s favorite part about working at PHS is the very welcoming environment of both the teachers and students. She hopes to keep teaching as well as learning, she would also like to impact the school in a variety of ways.

After graduating high school, Bough decided not play volleyball anymore. While student teaching she was the varsity assistant at Elkhart Christian Academy. She also coached a traveling club team out of Elkhart this past winter.  There she enjoyed teaching the fundamentals and strategies of volleyball and middle school was a great place to start.

“Being part of a team is a great experience.  My favorite part of coaching is seeing improvement.  Hard work pays off and I love seeing how far we can improve over the season.  We use the motto ‘seek progress, not perfection’ as a team.”

Now she serves as one of the junior high volleyball coaches at PHS.

“The junior high team is striving to improve.  We want to become the best volleyball players we can be at the end of the season.  We work very hard to improve at ball control as a team. So far the girls have worked extremely hard and are improving every day.”

128_3387
Science teacher Casey Bough instructs her class after a parachute experiment.

Story by Raigan Tinkle
Photo by McKinley Haley