(812) 723-3905

An Expert Says…

Graduate Jack Coleman gives some insight on college verses career.

Q:  What advice would you give to someone unsure on whether to choose college or a career after high school?

A:  Make sure you have a good idea of what you want to do. Don’t go throwing money down the drain for something you might end up not doing. My boss gave me a good example: “There’s a man out in southern California who was emancipated at 15, never graduated high school, never went to college, and now is the head of a Mercedes dealership and drives Ferraris home every day and is one of the most polished individuals I know.” College is not for everyone, but try to always make goals for yourself and know what career path you want to go on and what you need to do to achieve it.

Q: What made you pick your current career path?

A: I didn’t necessarily choose the career path. It kind of fell into my lap. I was going to college for law enforcement. I had wanted to be a police officer since I was 8-years-old. But then I decided it might not be what I wanted. My uncle, Dean, is a manager at Heritage Ford where I now work. But before I got on as a sales consultant, he wasn’t sure he’d have a spot for me. Two weeks later after having a talk with him, two spots opened up and he got me on. I was very lucky to get this opportunity. Being in sales since I was 16-years-old really helped me to adjust into this business. It isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoy selling, talking to people, and building relationships in a business atmosphere, I recommended sales of any type, career path related to anyone, or at least try it.
Q:  What do you do on a daily basis?

A: I come to work every day and get on something we call VIN salutations. I do that in the morning to check and see what appointments I have coming in and see if I need to follow up on previous customers. I also read up on new ford products, sometimes travel to pick up vehicles, walk the lot, and sometimes just wait for customers to come in. But most of my time is spent on the computer or phone.

Q: What is the most challenging thing about your job?

A: The most challenging part of my job is getting customers completely satisfied and letting them know we are there to help them. A common stereotype for cars salesmen is that we are crooks. That is not the case. We are there to answer any questions the customer has, let them know what deals we can get them, and how we can help them out as far as financing, trade ins, and getting a vehicle that meets their needs. We are there to serve the customers, not our pockets.

Q: If you had the decision to go to college all over again, would you?

A:  I probably wouldn’t choose to go back. I can’t justify spending money on college when I have a full-time job that I can make a career path out of. Now, if I changed my career path to something else, then yes I would consider going back. But as of now, with how I sit with what I’m doing and enjoy it, no I wouldn’t go back.

Info By Emilee Waynick