Students Practice Childcare

Corinne Magner, Paolite Staff Writer

Paoli High School offers students a number of different classes that give them a taste of the real world. One of those classes is child development.

The child development class allows students to see what it is like to take care of newborn babies. For example, at different times throughout the year students are given a simulated electronic baby that they have to take care of.

“The babies need care just like a real baby does. They cry, need fed, diapered, burped and rocked,” said child development teacher Danelle Manship.  

Manship can track everything electronically through the baby and see if the students are taking care of it properly. This includes showing if its neglected, not being fed or not being changed.

Manship has been teaching this class for the past 15 years and has seen her students grow from these types of experiences. Taking care of the babies has helped students learn and prepare for life in the future.

“Most students have had a positive experience, but there are always a few who come back and tell me they are never having kids,” said Manship. 

The students took their babies home for the first time on Friday, October 25 and cared for them through the weekend. There are 22 students in the class this semester and  each of them were graded on their overall experience with the babies.

“Mrs. Manship makes this class very enjoyable and I’m glad I took it,” said senior Addison Wells.