Pride Returns on the Waterfront

Angie Ceja, Editor-in-Chief

Season Kicks off a Columbus after year break

Saturday, September 11, The Pride of Paoli traveled to Columbus for their first competition of the year. This was the first time the band competed since November 9, 2019, at State Finals. At Columbus the band placed first in Music, General Effect, Visual Effect, and Auxiliary and first overall in their class. This year, the show is titled “On The Waterfront” with music is based on Leonard Bernstein’s symphonic suite “On The Waterfront”.

The Show

There are three movements in this year’s show. The first movement starts off with a storm ominously coming in from the coastline and as the storm hits, the music gets very loud and intense. As the storm begins to die down in the second movement, the music is soft and pleasant. At this point of the show, the storm has passed and the band expresses the aftermath of it. In the final movement, the band wraps up the show with upbeat music signifying the revival after the storm.

There are multiple solos featured throughout the show including an alto sax solo by senior Michael Hannon, a baritone solo by senior Elijah MacDonald, and a color guard solo by sophomore Nena Gaona. There are also many show-themed props and musical attributes that are used to create an engaging atmosphere that drives the storm concept home. These include water and wind sound effects, backdrops with water pictures on them, movable docks and fake birds.

The band still has a lot more to add onto the show this season, with plans for further choreography, props and general and music effects.

“The show is not complete yet and there’s still a lot more to add, that’s the exciting part. I’m looking forward to seeing what the band can accomplish,” said senior Kylee Charles.

Tuned to Perfection Members of the low brass section perform at September 10’s game against West Washington. Pictured from left to right are Daniel Adams and Elijah Macdonald.

The Future

Because of the cancellation of last year’s marching band competitive season and the constant change in the staffing, one goal new Band Director Chris Karkosky has for this year is to create a sense of normalcy for the band.

“My goal is to create that sense of normalcy’ that I think everyone is craving. I want to create an environment where all members can work hard, have a good time, and feel good about their performance at the end of each day,” said Karkosky.

Playing at the Home Games Members of the percussion play at September 10’s game against West Washington.

The Invitational

On September 18, the band hosted their 40th annual Pride of Paoli Invitational at the Cook Field. There were 15 bands who competed that day. All of the money made from the invitational will be going towards the Pride’s marching band season.

“I definitely enjoyed the Invitational. It was great hosting so many fine bands. It was a lot of hard work, but it will really pay off for the program,” said Karkosky.

The Water Member of the color guard perform their routine at September 10’s game. Picutured left to right, Nina Garcia and Johna Winiger.