Lady Rams Win Paoli Invitational

Ashleigh Garcia, Paolite Staff Writer

On Saturday April 16, the Rams Varsity Tennis team hosted the Paoli Invitational, which included Paoli 18, Barr-Reeve 10,  Madison 7, and  Tell City 0. The Rams once again come out with a win. 

In round one of the tournament, each girl or team won against their opponent. 

“I was really proud of how all the girls played across the board.  We had good ball movement in all positions and played smart points,” said Head Coach Tyla Whitfield.

The top single player was sophomore Madison Warren, who defeated Barr-Reeve’s Alexis Buse, 6-1, 6-1.

“The biggest challenge I faced in my match was my nerves. It was my first tournament as number one singles, so I knew I was going to be playing girls that were really good,” said Warren.

The Lady Rams pose after the tournament with their medals. Courtesy Photo

Number two singles player senior Rylie Atkins defeated Madison’s Taylor Harsin, 6-2, 6-1 and number three singles player senior Amanda Bowles defeated Tell City’s Amara Combs, 6-0, 6-0.

“Our team faced a lot of tough opponents this weekend but our determination never faltered. We learned something from our wins and losses, only preparing us more for the sectionals,” said Bowles.

The number one doubles team of senior Tinsley Moffatt and sophomore Gracie Brown defeated Tell City’s Anna Armstrong and Niccole Bailey, 6-0, 6-0.

“The biggest challenge I faced was probably my mental toughness. Most of the game I doubted myself and how well I could play. I didn’t necessarily step out on the court thinking I was actually going to win, I was more nervous than anything,” said Moffatt. 

The last win of round one belonged to senior Chelsea Deweese and sophomore Micaela MacDonald, who defeated Barr-Reeve’s Kaitlyn Wood and Alli Robinson, 6-4, 6-4.

In round two, the Lady Rams pulled in four more wins.

Warren defeated Madison’s Anna Bluemm, 6-0, 6-0. 

“Warren won both of her matches at one singles so she won a medal for her flight, the position of no. 1 singles,” said Whitfield.

Atkins defeated Barr-Reeve’s Beth Graber, 6-1, 6-1 and Bowles defeated Barr-Reeve’s Claire Harrison, 6-0, 6-2.

“I was able to really track the ball and read the rackets of both of the opponents I faced. My Tell City opponent really allowed me to slow my strokes and work consistency over speed, whereas with my Barr-Reeve opponent I had to use speed, strategy and consistency,” said Bowles.

Moffatt and Brown lost to Sydney Swartzentruber and Dyan Cecoursey, 2-6, 4-6.

“I think we need to work more on passing shots so we aren’t hitting the ball to the person at the net. I also think we could work more on swinging up so the ball doesn’t go into the net. Me, individually, I need to work on my serves,” said Moffatt.

Deweese and MacDonald defeated Hailey Jenkins and Addison Mundt, 6-1, 6-0.

The Lady Rams will go on to face the Eastern Pekin Musketeers Monday at home starting at 5 p.m.