Student-Led Library Board Soon To Come

If you are interested in becoming a part of the program, check your email or email Rachel Miller.

Ashleigh Garcia

Librarian Rachel Miller poses with her Ram Resource Room sign.

Ashleigh Garcia, Business Manager, Sports Editor, Web Editor, Senior Editor Assistant, Paolite Staff Writer

Librarian Rachel Miller is assembling a student-led library board. On August 15, a form was sent out to all students via email to determine their interest in becoming a part of the program.

According to Miller, the library board will be a collection of students from all grades to help keep the library student-centered. 

Seniors Masden Embry and Ellie Sims showed their art skills on the Ram Resource Room window.

“As most of my good ideas start, it was [Media Advisor Heather] Nichols’ idea. She is on the board for the public library and suggested we dosomething similar. I am only one person, and my creativity does have its limits. Having a board to depend on to help me make decisions and come up with new initiatives will make my job easier and make sure we’re doing things that students actually want,” said Miller.

The board will have several responsibilities to keep up with. Some things they will be in charge of include coming up with a new display each month, suggesting what books the library should purchase and reviewing these books to help build student appeal. Additionally, board members will plan promotional events to boost student interaction with the library.

“My main goal for the library as a whole is to develop a space that meets students’ needs and helps them reach personal and academic goals. Having a board composed of students will enable us to meet that goal because no one knows teens as well as other teens,” said Miller.

Library space for meetings.

Currently, 19 students have filled out the form saying they would like to be a part of the library board. Students should check their email for more information or stop by the Ram Resource Room and talk to Miller directly with any questions they may have.