Service Day Returns

Students Offer A Hand to the Community For The Sixth Year

River Fleming, NP Design Editor, Editor in Chief

Following a three year hiatus, PHS hosted the sixth annual Service Day on Thursday, October 6. The last Service Day was held in October of 2019 and was unable to be held in 2020 and 2021 because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

PHS Service Day is a day dedicated to lending a helping hand to others in our area. Students and staff ventured out into the community to help participate in one of 26 service day projects.

Some groups stayed on campus to offer their service. Spanish Teacher Crystal Shellenberger took high school students to Throop to help teach younger students basic Spanish to allow them to interact better with their classmates who are native Spanish speakers. Football Coaches Neil Dittmer and Brian Wilson‘s group went to the football field to help renovate the bleachers and picnic tables, along with other maintenance.

Others traveled around Orange County. Media Teacher Heather Nichols and Math Teacher Jeremy Reynolds took students to the Orange County Humane Society to help clean, organize and show the animals some love. Science Teacher Laurie Jo Andry and English Teacher Brooke Goerres went to the Paoli Public Library to help clean up the inside of the building and assist in outside maintenance.

Nichols is also the Service Day Coordinator who organized the event.

“We are so grateful that we were able to bring back this tradition for our students. I have only heard positive things from students and staff and I hope this year marks the beginning more many more Service Days,” said Nichols.