JAG Students Set Personal Record at Conference

Wyatt Blankenship

Members of JAG pose for a photo after the event.

Senior McKali Hedge works through the paperwork for her competition entry. (Wyatt Blankenship)

On February 2, JAG students traveled to and competed at the Career Development Conference held at the French Lick Resort.

The competition was a way for JAG students to showcase their skills in categories such as public speaking, entrepreneurship and financial literacy. Every senior involved sought to bring home awards and prestige to their JAG program.

The event began at 9:30 a.m. and concluded at 2 p.m. All competing students were seniors and one junior and each had been assigned a category to represent their school in.

Senior Ryleigh Anderson is interviewed by JAG region 8 judges for Outstanding Senior. (Wyatt Blankenship)

Competing in the public speaking category was Tegan Hammond.

Xander Phelps, William Milner and Treyvin Street worked together to demonstrate their competency in entrepreneurship.

Cora Austin made a career presentation while the category of project-based learning was tackled by Cailyn Baechle and Isaac Cornett-McBride. The duo earned second place for their presentation.

McKali Hedge fulfilled the task of competing in the creative solutions category. Both Christian Spruce and Ray Pinnick entered for critical thinking. Hedge was able to bag a first place finish for PHS.

Senior Beverly Sieg stands with JAG teacher Katie Cook after winning first in the Writing division. (Wyatt Blankenship)

Employability skills were demonstrated by Aliza Allen, and Clayton Money showed off his financial literacy. Allen and Money both placed third in their respective categories.

One category was available to showcase an outstanding senior and Ryleigh Anderson was the candidate for the PHS JAG program, finishing second.

Finally, Beverly Sieg competed in a writing competition. for which she earned a first place title.

Junior Ray Pinnick talks with judges
during his interview. (Wyatt Blankenship)

While at the competition, the program had to fill some spots for both the Charter Commercial and the Chapter Brochure. Baechle presented the former while Taylor Lashley and Braydon Hayes presented the latter. Both parties managed to earn second place awards for their work.

The JAG program returned with eight trophies this year, the most in the program’s history.

Hedge and Sieg move on to the State Finals which will be held in Indianapolis on March 17.