The Workforce is Calling

Employability Skills on the List – Staff On Board

In 2018, Senate Enrolled Act 297 passed, requiring schools to implement curricula which cover the employability skills compiled by the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) by the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.

According to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, the law was passed with the intent of helping schools prepare students to find employment and succeed in the workforce once they enter it.

The IDOE assembled a variety of skills and qualities and categorized them under four different umbrella terms: mindsets, learning strategies, work ethic and social and emotional skills. These skills are lifelong learning, self-confidence, effective communication, decision-making, initiative, attention to detail, problem solving, aptitude and awareness, self-discipline, independence, perseverance, time management and organization, adaptability, integrity, professionalism, connection, regulation and collaboration.

In this issue, we have focused on several of the programs within our school that work to prepare students for possible employability pathways. From the accomplishments of the construction trades and Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) classes on pages two and three to students getting their medical certifications on page eight, it seems like the IDOE’s employability skills have been well-integrated here at PHS on the surface but we wanted to take a deeper dive.

Involvement in sports were said to developed strength in effective communication, collaboration and decision-making. Sports also worked to build perseverance.

We asked our media staff which skills they felt confident in and where they learned them.

Some students felt skills in time management, integrity and perseverance were cultivated through their work in their classes, many specifying advanced placement courses. English has helped with attention to detail and math and science have helped with problem solving skills. Classes overall made a difference in self-confidence, our staff saying they take pride in the work they complete.

Staff members found electives like art and media to help with self-discipline and independence due to the large amount of creative freedom within the coursework.

Others said clubs were beneficial to promoting employability skills. Self-Care Club has aided with social and emotional skills while Booster Club has boosted connection.

Despite many positives our media staff listed when it came to employability skills, there were some areas they felt PHS falls short in and should work to improve on in the future.

Staff members noted feeling overwhelmed and tired the majority of the time, therefore struggling with finding that drive.

Many said they struggled with time management due to procrastination, sometimes failing to turn assignments in by due dates as a result.

Professionalism was another place students felt they or their peers lacked experience, seemingly noticing a lot of immaturity within the student body.

Others found themselves facing difficulty with taking initiative. Staff members noted feeling overwhelmed and tired the majority of the time, therefore struggling with finding that drive. Self-confidence goes hand-in-hand with initiative and many students feel like they are going to fail at assignments so they do not put their best effort into them.

Some students admitted they were unprepared in the learning strategies category, particularly in reference to studying habits which they felt were inadequate and never taught to them.

Aptitude and awareness were another issue due to a lack of understanding of how many assignments would be beneficial in the long run.

We asked media students for suggestions on how to improve the teaching of employability skills and the majority of them recommended taking student input as well as incorporating the skills into everyday life at PHS — whether that is in the case of assignments, homeroom or half-day activities. Some suggested having seminars like those held during the February half day where minilessons are given on how to practice each skill.