Next Week is FFA Week!

Carley Higgins, Paolite Staff Writer

FFA week has come around yet again. This year, the Paoli FFA chapter will be continuing on with FFA week activities.

The first tradition that is being carried on is the dress up days, which change every year. Monday is Comfy Day, Tuesday is Vaca T-Shirts, Wednesday is FFA Shirt or FFA Colors, Thursday is Class Colors and Friday is $1 Hat Day. The class colors are as follows: staff wear purple, seniors wear red, juniors wear blue, sophomores wear orange, freshmen wear green, seventh graders wear yellow and eighth graders wear black.

The next tradition is the teacher’s breakfast. This is where the officer team comes in at about five in the morning and prepares an array of breakfast foods for the staff members.

“It’s great to see the kids take on the responsibility of cooking and hosting the breakfast. It’s nice when our kids get a chance to be in that leadership role and the food is always great,” said Student Media Adviser Heather Nichols. She has been one of the many staff members who go to and appreciate the teacher’s breakfast.

Every year the officer team, and sometimes other chapter members, come in to help make everything. Advisors Cory Scott and Kyle Woolston are also there to offer help if needed.

“Teacher’s Breakfast is always a fun way to give back to the teachers. It’s a great way for us to give back to the teachers. It’s also fun to spend the morning preparing with other FFA members and officers,” said FFA Sentinel Taisha Robbins.

The next big tradition the chapter does to help celebrate FFA week is Ag Olympics. Students from James Dunn’s seventh grade history class will come in throughout the day and play fun mini-games, in hope to win a prize. The games are as follows: pin the tail on the pig, ear tag find, nail drive, guess the weight and pudding and pie eating contest.

Pin the tail on the pig is where students are blindfolded and then spun around and have to try and pin a tail on a pig cutout. The closest to the actual place of a tail wins. The ear tag find is where a pig identification tag is thrown and mixed in with a bucket of water and soil. The first to find the tag wins.

“I get to show the kids what we get to do in FFA and what agriculture is somewhat about. Oh, I love this event we get to have a bunch of fun. I mean doing a bunch of fun stuff during school,” said Historian Billy Bob Apple.

The nail drive is where students race to try and get a nail in a block of wood the fastest. The first student finished winds. Guess the weight is where students will guess the weight of one of the piglets, and whoever is the closest wins. The pudding and pie eating contest is where students race to see who can finish the desert the fastest without using their hands. The first to finish wins.

Paoli FFA plans to continue this annual tradition, as well as celebrating FFA week with their chapters, districts and states.