The JAG Closet is setting up for the giveaway to be held May 2-3.
Summer is Coming
Ian Sullivan, Video Creator • May 1, 2024
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Kylie Flannery, Hillcrest Assistant Editor • May 1, 2024
Choir to Finish the Year with Spring Concert
Viv Fugate, Paolite Staff Writer • May 1, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Pride Prepares to ‘Paint’ the Field

Band Opens Season Tomorrow at Valley
Olivia McSpadden
The Pride of Paoli performs during part two of the show.

This year, the Pride of Paoli takes on a new show titled “Paint Me Purple.” The band is 50 members strong, and the group is led by senior Lillian Woodsmall as drum major.

“I think the season has been going great so far! There’s been a lot of changes with scheduling, etc., but the band has been adapting well! We have our first two parts on the field and are currently working on the last part. I think we have a great show this year, but there is always room for improvement. As we add a third part to the show, I think we need to push the end and really bring the energy. I also think as we add more choreography and shaping, the show will continue to improve,” said Woodsmall.

The show has three parts represented by lavender, plum and royal purple. The theme of part one is the color lavender, which represents youthfulness, optimism, imagination, creativity, energy and enthusiasm. The section features “Sunday in the Park With George” by Stephen Sondheim. Part two moves on to plum, representing uncertainty, doubt and darkness. In this section, the band performs “Adagio in G Minor” by Tomaso Albinoni. In the final section, royal purple, the theme is royalty, regality, hope, and triumph. In this section, the band performs “Pictures at an Exhibition,” by Modest Mussorgsky. 

The show features a performance by junior Rylee McKenna on flugelhorn during part two of the show.

“I feel like this year’s season is going really well. Everyone is doing everything they can to improve and having so much fun in the process. I’m excited to see how the rest of the season plays out,” said McKenna.

Seniors Lina Zheng and Trinity Thompson, who play the flute, have a duet together in parts one and two of the performance. Zheng also has her own solo in part two of the show.

“I’m very grateful to be selected for a solo and duet in this year’s show. Being a soloist means having some extra responsibilities in the band. I feel very thankful to the band for trusting me with such an important role,” said Zheng.

As the season continues, the band continues to improve and work hard.

“The season is going very well. The show is really cool and all members are doing a great job of bringing it to life,” said Director Christain Karkosky.

The band will officially kick off their competitive season tomorrow at the Springs Valley Festival of Marching Bands with their performance at 8 p.m.