Annual Photo Show Returns
Annual Photo Show Returns
Lola Beavers, Paolite Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
The JAG Closet is setting up for the giveaway to be held May 2-3.
Summer is Coming
Ian Sullivan, Video Creator • May 1, 2024
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Kylie Flannery, Hillcrest Assistant Editor • May 1, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Basketball Camp Showcases Next Stars

Monday, October 23, marked the beginning of Paoli’s annual Biddy Ball Boys Youth Basketball Camp. Kids ranging from kindergarten to fourth grade are eligible to attend. Members of the Paoli boys basketball team run the youth camp. 

The elementary students in attendance learned fundamental basketball skills, such as dribbling, shooting, passing, defense, and playing basketball as a team. They also played fun games after the drills were completed. Fan favorites such as Knockout and Dribble tag are the most popular among the kids. On Saturdays, the students played two games with teams that were predetermined. 

Boys Varsity Basketball Coach Dusty Cole has hopes for what biddy ball does for his program in the future.

“We want to teach the kids some basic fundamentals and also show them some drills they can practice on their own time.  We are introducing them to some basic rules of the game, areas of the court, and terminology they will hear throughout their playing careers,” said Cole. 

Biddy Ball is also an opportunity for students to have fun playing basketball. 

We want to make sure that our players and staff are really positive.  Have fun, play some games, and make sure the kids are wanting to come back for more.  We give lots of encouragement; we play fun games, pass out popsicles, give each player a jersey, and have Saturday morning league games.  All of these things are in place to ensure the kids participating have a good time,” said Cole. 

Cole looks to high school players to teach them the game’s skills and show them how to be good leaders. 

“We have a lot of good role models on our high school basketball teams.  These student-athletes are often some of the better leaders in our school system and our community.  It is always good for our Biddy Ball Players to be around positive role models and have people they can look up to,” said Cole. 

The Rams may be there as teachers, but the program’s benefits also extend to the high school players. 

“Most of our kids remember their time at elementary school and how much they looked up to the older players.  Our high school guys learn to lead and learn to communicate.  Helping with the lower levels and simply being visible to parents and young players is essential to building and maintaining a successful program.  It creates a positive culture along with tradition.  This is a small way for all of us to give back to our school, our community, and the basketball program,” said Cole.