Distinguished Sites Banner
Rocky the Ram gets escorted out by her security guards.
Rammy's Return to Honor Teachers
Tyler Hannon, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024
News to Know graphic.
Senior Say Farewell
TyLynn Taylor, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

(812) 723-3905

It’s a Masquerade

MORP Planning Underway for Junior High Student Council
Josh Herd
Morp Tickets Now on Sale

The Junior High Student Council and Junior High Student Council Sponsor Mariah Buchanan are preparing for MORP.

MORP is a junior high dance that takes place in the school cafeteria on May 3 from 6 to 8 p.m. The MORP theme is “The Grande Masquerade.”

For the past 18 years, Tammy Noble has been in charge of planning MORP. However, Noble recently retired, leaving the spot open, so Buchanan gave planning MORP a shot.

“Communicating to the Student Council members and getting all students to participate while I am taking care of my baby has been a challenge. It has been difficult to plan how I will be at school to set up the day of,” said Buchanan. “I communicate to the Student Council members through Google Classroom. However, not all students are participating in the discussions and planning efforts. Planning is much easier to do in person.”

Even without these challenges, planning an event like MORP is stressful. Buchanan will be responsible for decorating, planning food and hosting MORP.

Other junior high teachers have been helping Buchanan to lower the amount of pressure and stress she experiences.

“We have Morp to give our junior high students a dance experience with their friends. Many students don’t get to have experiences with their friends outside of school. Morp gives our students a memorable experience. It is also special for our 8th grade students. Morp signifies a transition between jr high and high school,” said Buchanan.

To attend MORP, students must attend school for at least three class periods on the day of MORP and meet a few guidelines.

“Students must be in good standing behaviorally with school and must have good standing with school attendance and tardies in order to attend MORP,” said Assistant Principal Adam Stroud.

If a student meets these guidelines, they can buy a MORP ticket.

MORP tickets are $5; students can buy them from April 29 to May 3 in the cafeteria.