AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Review: Roach Reviews “Beautiful Creatures”

A supernatural love story set in the South that came out on Valentine’s Day 2013, “Beautiful Creatures” follows Lena Duchannes (Alice Englert) and Ethan Wate (Alden Ehrenreich), who fall in love when Lena comes to town.

Soon Ethan finds out what she really is. Later Lena’s cousin Ridley Duchannes (Emmy Rossum) and Lena’s mother Sarafine (Emma Thompson) show up and tell Lena she is going to be claimed for the dark like they themselves are. During the reenactment of Honey Hill, mother and daughter fight over Lena’s future. Will she be claimed light or dark? You will have to find out yourself if you still find it worth it after my complaints.

The movie is based on the movie of the same name, written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The book has the same plot but a lot more detail like most books do. Published in December of 2009 by Little, Brown and Company, the book is from a series of five books. Since the Warner brothers own the right to all of the books, a second movie isn’t completely out of the question.

The characters do not look how they are portrayed in the book. For example, Lena has curly, crazy black hair and almost glowing green eyes in the book, but in the movie, her hair is a simple curl and it is clearly brown and her eyes are also brown with just a glint of green.

Lena also had a moon shaped birthmark under her eye in the book, that you don’t see in the movie. The least they could have done was make the main character look like she was suppose to.

An upside to the movie was that they kept the locket that brings flashbacks when Lena and Ethan both touch it. They also kept the actual flashback scenes.

I think the director Richard LaGravenese worked hard on this film, and I know the movies are never exactly like the books, but this one was just too different.

On a scale of one to five, I would give this movie a two. I just think that if they had taken out some of the scenes that they made up and stuck with the original scenes from the book, it would have been much better. It, to me, was not worth the three months of begging my mom I did to see it.

Review by Haley Roach