Staff Editorial: All in Good Fun

Past Reflections & Future Suggestions

With the end of the year approaching, and a new one upon us, our staff is reflecting back on how our first semester of school has gone.

It is obvious to us that the teachers and administrators have taken steps this year to implement more fun activities and make school a more enjoyable place to be. We do not take these efforts for granted and would like to acknowledge them.

Namely, some activities from years past were brought back and reinstated that we were grateful to have the opportunity to participate in.

Macho Man football and Powder Puff volleyball were some of the biggest hits among students. Hosted by Student Council, our staff enjoyed getting to engage in some healthy competition without all of the pressure that comes with regular sports. Swapping the typical gender roles was a treat for boys and girls of all grades alike — even if the juniors came out victorious overall.

Service Day’s first year back in many was also very popular. Students loved the chance to get out of school and into the community. We felt like we were making a difference by lending a helping hand to organizations and projects we were passionate about.

However, student morale was perhaps most lifted by Booster Club. Our staff found ourselves taking part in the Paoli Ram sports fandom this year more than we had previously, owed majorly to the ultra-spirited environment of the cheer block. Ram Can was definitely a big motivator there, whether it was hauling him back and forth to volleyball games or lifting him in victory at football games.

A new activity that impressed us was the monthly early-release Wednesdays. We were undoubtedly apprehensive about them at first, wanting our weekly early-release and the hour or so of relaxation that came with them, but this year’s half-days kept us on our toes. From the Amazing Race scavenger hunt of sorts to the sign-making competition and Speech Contest, students on staff loved the teamwork and unity we felt by partaking in these preplanned tasks.

As with anything though, there is definite room for improvement. Our staff would like to offer our suggestions on ways we could further make school a destination we do not dread going to.

We appreciate the activities that have accomplished their goals of boosting our morale, but think it is important to take student input into account when laying out any further plans for student entertainment and involvement.

While, as we said, we enjoyed our half-days, the December one missed the mark. With 25-minute class periods, it just felt like a waste of time that we wished had been taken up by a fun activity like the others.

We also want to see another semi-formal dance for high school students like the one we had in February of last year. Media staff members found it nice to get dressed up for a fun night out at school on a smaller scale than Prom and we hope it will continue in the coming winter months.

Switching gears and shifting our gazes onto some fresher ideas, we want to dip our toes into some school-wide or class-wide games. Suggestions include a Candy Cane Run like the one Junior High Student Council used to host. Spoon Tag is another idea our staff offered up, along with the classic hide-and-seek. We think these would help to build on the success of Macho Man and Powder Puff and boost a positive team mentality.

Our staff also suggested increasing field trips for the high school. It always seems to us like the junior high is getting to go on all of these college visits and enriching career-based outings when we are stuck here at school — even though we are the ones who are approaching graduation and the real world quicker and quicker each day.

A more inclusive talent and comedy show was also mentioned, not just one for boys like Mr. PHS. Our staff does not think it is fair that girls are not given the same opportunity to show off and have a good time on stage.

We have had fun this year; there is no denying that, especially in comparison to past years. We appreciate the activities that have accomplished their goals of boosting our morale, but think it is important to take student input into account when laying out any further plans for student entertainment and involvement.