AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Dott’s Movie Review: The Hunger Games

The movie, The Hunger Games, was released into theaters on March 23, 2012 and is rated PG-13 and runs approximately 2 hours and 22 minutes. The rating is mostly based on the fact that the movie features various violent scenes. The Hunger Games is categorized as Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Action/Adventure. The two main characters are played by Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen) and Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark).

I personally have already read all three books in The Hunger Games series. (And the movie will probably make more sense if you’ve read the book.) So I was really excited to see the movie. And I wasn’t surprised when I totally loved it. I loved the people the director casted to play Katniss and Peeta. I also loved the fact that the director followed the book, meaning they didn’t add or subtract scenes from the book. I was afraid that The Hunger Games would be really violent, and some parts were pretty sketchy, but for the most part, it wasn’t all that violent. (If I had a strong enough stomach to watch it, you’ll manage.)

I loved the heart breaking moments throughout the movie. For example, at the beginning of The Hunger Games at what the Districts call “The Reaping”, Katniss has to watch her younger sister, Prim, be chosen as a Tribute. And then Katniss volunteers herself in place of her sister. I had a few tears reach my eyes just because it’s sad knowing that either one of them is going to have to be a Tribute and fight for their life. I also loved how the director showed the relationship between Katniss and Peeta and Katniss and Gale (Katniss’ friend from home, District 12). I liked how Katniss really can’t decide who she wants to be with without hurting either Peeta or Gale. Overall, I really loved the movie and I’m super excited to see the next film, Catching Fire.

The last thing that I really liked of the movie was the ending. And I’m normally not a person to enjoy the ending of movies. In the book, The Hunger Games, it ended a little differently than the movie did. But it left me wanting more so I will most definitely be going to see the second movie in the series.

I really loved this entire movie. I can’t think of a single thing that I didn’t enjoy. I would recommend this movie to 1.) Anyone who has read the trilogy and 2.) Anyone who is interested in Science Fiction and fantasy movies  The Hunger Games is a great movie and I recommend it to anyone.

Review by Brooklyn Dotts