AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Dott’s movie review: Water for Elephants

The movie, Water for Elephants, was released into theaters on April 22, 2011 and was released on DVD on November 1, 2011. The movie is told through the eyes of a 93-year-old man, Jacob Jankowski who reminisces about his life during the Depression.

Jacob, played by Robert Pattinson, gets a job at a circus where he has to deal with the abusive ringleader, August, played by Christoph Waltz and starts to develop feelings for Augusts’ wife, Marlena, played by Reese Witherspoon. Water for Elephants is categorized as a dramatic romance and runs around 97 minutes. The movie is rated PG-13 for moments of violence and sexual content. (So if your parents don’t endorse violence or kissing scenes, you may not want to buy this movie.) The director of Water for Elephants is Francis Lawrence.

When I first saw the previews of Water for Elephants, I really didn’t think it was going to be all that interesting. I’m normally not into romantic movies. But while staying with my close friend over the weekend, we were flipping through the channels and we decided to watch Water for Elephants and I was surprised when I really loved the movie. For starters, I love movies with Robert Pattinson starring in them. So that automatically was a thumbs up movie for me. (But if you’re anticipating to see him shirtless, don’t.)

I love how in the movie, Jacob, played by Robert Pattinson, takes care of the new elephant, Rosie, after ring leader, August, decides to be abusive towards her. I also liked how Jacob figured out that the reason that Rosie won’t do as she is told by August is because she doesn’t understand English. She only listens to commands spoken in Polish. I also liked how the ending happened. I won’t really go into detail because I don’t want to ruin the movie for anyone who hasn’t seen the movie or for anyone who plans to see it.

There really wasn’t any part of the movie that I didn’t like. Except for a few graphic moments when August was beating Rosie. But despite the violence, Water for Elephant was a pretty great movie. I would recommend it to anyone interested in dramatic romances.

Review by Brooklyn Dotts