(812) 723-3905

McPherson learns a new game

McPherson learns a new game

Photo by Breanna Daugherty

It is not very often that PHS finds itself with a new Varsity team, especially a Varsity team for girls. But when August rolled around that is exactly what happened for the girls on the first Varsity girl’s golf team.

This brand new team found a brand new player in first-time golfer senior Nakia McPherson.

“I loved playing golf this year. I had a lot of fun, I got to try a whole new sport and found out that I love playing golf with the girls,” said McPherson.

McPherson started playing golf because she wanted to try out a new sport for her senior year. She had never played golf before and it was a new experience.

“I chose to play golf because it looked challenging and exciting,” said McPherson.

Fellow teammate and friend junior Brianna Wright convinced McPherson to give golf a try.

“I loved getting to play golf with my best friend. We got to learn together and compete against each other,” said McPherson.

McPherson’s favorite match was the team’s only home match. The team only went against two Borden players; therefore, McPherson and Wright had to compete against each other.

She worked very hard at practice every day to prepare for her upcoming meets and practicing all the tips from coach. She was the sixth girl for the team.

“I was content with being sixth on the team. I got to play more for fun rather than always worrying about being the best,” said McPherson.

McPherson loved that golf was an individual sport and she didn’t have to worry about everyone else. McPherson was able to focus on her own game and work to improve each time.

“I will miss not playing golf with all the girls next year and I’ll miss all the fun memories we shared together,” said McPherson.

Story by Brianna Wright