A group poses at the 2024 Grand March
Grand March 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 23, 2024
AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Satterfield’s Band Journey Ends on High Note

Many things in this world can bring joy to people. For senior Dayton Satterfield, it is music. Satterfield has been playing playing trumpet through PHS’s music program for seven years. Satterfield has participated in years of marching band, concert band, Junior All-State Band, All-State Orchestra and Honor Band.

“I have always had an interest in the musical arts and knew I would be dedicated enough to be a great player,” said Satterfield.

Along with the multiple music competitions he has played in, Satterfield has been to Solo and Ensemble for six years and has received a gold rating for his performance each year. Satterfield has also played in State Solo and Ensemble and has been successful in that competition as well.

Being in the Pride of Paoli has offered Satterfield once in a lifetime opportunities. This past November, the Pride of Paoli took a trip to Philadelphia and New York to march at the Dunkin’ Donuts Thanksgiving Day Parade and explore the area.

“My favorite band memory was being able to be given the chance to play in a city known to be very musical,” said Satterfield.

Throughout all his years of playing, Satterfield is most appreciative of assistant band director Ben Werne. Satterfield is thankful for all of the opportunities Werne has given him and how much he has helped him become a better musician.

Like most activities people partake in, they are bound to take something away from it, and for Satterfield, it is self discipline.

“The way Mr. Laughlin runs the band puts everyone in a situation where each person is responsible for their part in the band and shows you what makes you important to the band,” said Satterfield.

With everything else in life, all good things must come to an end. Satterfield’s favorite experience throughout his seven years of his music career was at marching band State Finals in seventh grade. At State, Satterfield suddenly realized how many people there are in the world who love music just as much as he does. However, Satterfield is going to miss competing and showing the public how hard POP works on their performances.

Satterfield plans to go to college for music performance and start to freelance trumpet play.

Story by Sara Kesterson