AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Moon Prepared for Life After High School

A job is an obligation a lot of teenagers have and dislike, but senior Brandon Moon has a different attitude toward working.

Moon is employed by Bender Lumber and has been there for two years. Hired in 2016 by former manager Angie Fugate, Moon was offered the job to help his father, who also works there. Pushing lumber and building orders for customers may not seem like the ideal family bonding time, but for the Moons, it has become routine. In fact, they have grown closer at the hands of the job. Both working together and having constant interaction have strengthened Moon’s relationship with his dad. It shows them how to combine their efforts smoothly.

Customers can be rude and hard to handle at times, but for the most part, I enjoy working with my dad and some of our family friends,” said Moon.

Aside from the father-son aspect involved in his work, Moon benefits from the skills he has learned through his work experience. In the customer service field, Moon has been able to improve his social and communication skills. He can also read others well and has a different view on the lives of adults due to his experience in the workforce.

“It has given me the opportunity to understand how the business works and better my understanding of how people work,” said Moon.

Moon’s income is a big part as well. There are a lot of things that have to be paid for, and working is Moon’s way of obtaining money for those purposes. He works 20 hour weeks during the school year and between 35 and 40 hours per week in the summer.

Although Moon enjoys his job at Bender Lumber, especially working with his dad, he will not be continuing his work there for much longer. In March of 2019, he will be leaving to pursue a management position at his other occupation, Chicago’s Pizza, located in French Lick.

Moon has been juggling these two jobs for a couple of years, and working at both Bender Lumber and Chicago’s Pizza is no longer in his best interest.

Moon has worked at Chicago’s Pizza for three years, and in that time, he has done a little bit of everything. From making pizza to working the front counter, he has experienced it all.

With the tasks he has been given, Moon has learned a lot about the business world and expanded his knowledge on the behind-the-scenes work.

“Working there has improved my people skills and given me training and insight into how businesses work,” said Moon.

Moon’s dedication to every job he is asked to do at Chicago’s Pizza has shown those in charge that he has the qualities of a manager. His unfaltering reliability has proven his worth.

“I work hard and give every task my best effort, and I am always willing to work no matter what,” said Moon.

Although the position Moon is being given is a promotion, he will be doing everyday tasks like he does now.

“My responsibilities will be virtually the same,” said Moon.

The experience of working at both Bender Lumber and Chicago’s Pizza has rewarded Moon not only in cash, but in life lessons he will use further down the road in his career.

Story by Masden Embry