AVID students recently traveled to Hanover College to learn more about the college and celebrate the end of the year. Here is a look at their trip.
AVID Travels to Hanover
Garrett Cook, PHS News Today Floor Director • April 17, 2024
Growing Green
Growing Green
Lillian Hall, Paolite Features Editor • April 17, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Pep Band to Show School Spirit in Orleans Invitational

On Saturday, January 11 the Paoli pep band will be traveling to Orleans High School for the annual Orleans Pep Band Invitational (PBI). The Orleans band has been hosting this event for 12 years now, and it has become a popular invitational.

Orleans started PBI as a fundraiser. The event is a fun way for bands to come together and show their school spirit rather than compete in a formal contest.

“PBI is really ‘fan based’ as the audience has an opportunity to see the various bands around the area play ‘fun’ or ‘spirited’ music! Add in mascots, cheerleaders, etc. and this becomes quite a show. All of the bands will be in the gym and see each other play as well,” said Band Director Bill Laughlin.

The band will play pep tunes like they play at basketball games instead of normal concert music. There will be 17 bands competing this year and over hundreds of fans will watch. Each band has 15 minutes to perform to the judges. There are various awards bands can win including Wacky Woodwinds, Blazing Brass, Prestigious Percussion, Electrifying Electronics, Best Music, Best Spirit and placements in each class, with class being determined by the size of the band.

Paoli will be performing at 12:25 p.m. in the Orleans High School gym. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for senior citizens and students.

Story by Angie Ceja