Distinguished Sites Banner
Rocky the Ram gets escorted out by her security guards.
Rammy's Return to Honor Teachers
Tyler Hannon, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024
News to Know graphic.
Senior Say Farewell
TyLynn Taylor, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Unified Champions Planned for Next Week

Sports Event Designed to Introduce Students to the World of Sports
Joshua Herd

Unified Champion Schools (UCS) is an innovative sports play program with and without intellectual disabilities. The event is designed to introduce them to the world of sports and the Special Olympics through their local school system. The program was created to meet the physical and developmental needs of elementary and middle school children. Unified Champion schools introduce children with intellectual disabilities, their peers, and families to the world of Special Olympics by pursuing the following goals: Raise awareness about the abilities of children with disabilities through inclusive peer participation, demonstrations, and other sports and events, Engage children with intellectual disabilities through developmentally appropriate play activities designed to foster physical, cognitive and social development, and to welcome family members of children with intellectual disabilities to the Special Olympics network and support.

The event day is scheduled for May 8, but if there’s inclement weather, it will be held on May 9 at Paoli Community School at Cook Field. The day includes activities and unified track and field competitions against other schools, including Crawford County, East Washington, Salem, Springs Valley, and West Washington. Many activities include walking and running, balance and jumping, trapping and catching, throwing, kicking, softball, tennis, and more.

Junior Fletcher Cole is a big supporter of Rams Unified. He has been a part of it since freshman year and enjoys helping and making the kids happy. 

“I hope to help them get more involved and hope they have a good time,” said Cole. 

Lyndi Baxter is in her first year in charge of the event. There is a list of students who will help on the day off and practice beforehand. These students are members of the Rams Unified Club. Some students had previously signed up to help but cannot this year because Biology Ilearn is on the same day. 

“We are excited for this wonderful event next week and hope to see many people there to support the athletes,” said Baxter. 

The Unified Champions Field Day event is an inclusive physical and gross motor education program designed to bring students with and without disabilities together to learn the skills and knowledge needed to participate in inclusive sports and fitness programs in their schools.