New Season Starts for Winter Musicians

Winter Guard and Percussion practices begin

PHS Media Staff

Make sure you’re following PHS Media News for all your Announcements and School updates.

Lainee Cox, Hillcrest Yearbook Staff

Now that the fall marching band season has ended, a new season has begun for band students. Winter Percussion and Winter Guard has begun and many hornline members and non-band students are interested in gaining experience in different parts of the band.

Winter Percussion is an ensemble of all percussion instruments with a front ensemble and sometimes a drumline. This year’s is called Abandon All Hope and is based on Dante’s Inferno. The theme of the show comes from the quote “Abandon all hope, ye who enters here”. Practices are split between show music with the front ensemble equipment during one half of practice, and learning drumline music the other half. It is not very competitive and is done more to gain experience with percussion or for percussionists to gain more experience.

For students interested in dance and choreography, Winter Guard is another opportunity for students to participate. 

Sophomore Arah Brinkman is in her second season with the guard. 

“I’ve met a lot of people who have become family to me. It’s a very laid back environment and everyone is very supportive, it’s a fun activity,” said Brinkman.

I’ve met a lot of people who have become family to me. It’s a very laid back environment and everyone is very supportive, it’s a fun activity.

— Sophomore Arah Brinkman

Winter Guard is a group of girls and boys who learn choreography and flag work to perform and compete. Students do not need any previous experience to join. Previous members can join and gain more experience and new members can join and learn the basics of flagwork and choreography that goes with being in color guard. Winter guard has been successful during their past competitions and got third at tri-state last year. They traveled all the way to Cincinnati, Ohio to perform.

“You should join winter guard and winter percussion because it’s really fun and you can make new friends. You can learn new instruments or gain more experience. The winter guard is really successful in their group,” said Band Director Christian Karkosky.

Winter Percussion rehearsals are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Practice schedules are in the band room. If you are interested in joining then meet in the band room at that time. Winter Guard starts on December 19 and 20 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m Students that are interested need to meet in the high school band room.