Senior Trey Rominger rushes the ball against the Blue Jackets.
Olivia McSpadden

Rominger and the Rams Rush On

Team Captures PLAC Title; Face Warriors Tonight

The Rams traveled to Mitchell on Friday to face the Blue Jackets in what ended up being an exciting and record-breaking PLAC game. The 57-7 win would secure the PLAC title for the Rams, the first time the team had won since 2018. Senior Trey Rominger would set a new single-game school and PLAC rushing record for the Rams.

In the first quarter, the Rams got it started at the 9:05 mark with a touchdown early from sophomore Dane Padgett. The Rams would hold the Jackets scoreless and go to add junior Fletcher Cole, who would go on to throw a pass to sophomore Cooper Spires for the second touchdown of the quarter. The Blue Jackets would get on the board with a passing touchdown to Mitchell’s Gavin Robinson. At the end of the quarter, Cole would rush 15 yards for the final touchdown of the quarter, making the score 21-7.

Sophomore Dane Padgett evades a Mitchell opponent. (Olivia McSpadden)

Senior Trey Rominger started the second quarter with two big rushing plays, adding a 27-yard and 31-yard carry to his running for the night, and capped off a drive with an 8-yard touchdown. In the next Mitchell drive, Cole picked off the ball from Mitchell’s freshman Malakai Goodman, and to capitalize off of the interception, Padgett rushed for a 67-yard touchdown. Rominger would have another big rushing play, resulting in a  41-yard touchdown. Heading into halftime, the Rams were up 43-7.

The Rams started off the third quarter with a big defensive stop, and the Rams did not let this opportunity go to waste; they went down the field and scored a 13-yard touchdown by Trey Rominger that put the Rams up 50-7 at the 08:29. The Rams had a big defensive play, a fumble forced by junior Peyton Baker and recovered by freshman Rusty Turner. The Rams got the ball back with 1:14 on the Clock and made the most of it; with Rominger scoring a 34-yard rushing touchdown that ended the quarter, the Rams were up 57-7.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Rams had sat down their varsity and put in the JV, who had no problem holding the Jackets offense, and the Jackets once again turned it over to the Rams. The starting JV freshman Quarterback Justin Thornton had a big play when he rushed for 17 yards, and freshman Fullback Dawson Guidry was also moving the chains and had some big plays on kickoff these past few games. The Rams move on to 7-1 and 5-0 in PLAC Conference play.

This game was also significant for the senior captain and starting fullback, Trey Rominger. Rominger had a record-breaking night for the Rams and the PLAC Conference, rushing for 354 yards.

“When I was playing, it didn’t feel like that much yard, but after the game, when I found out, it was really surprising and exciting,” said Rominger. 

One of Rominger’s coaches, Offensive Line Coach Jeremey Reynolds, is proud of Rominger’s contributions and the offensive line.

“I really hope not only Trey but all of the kids are proud of what he did these past four years because he didn’t do it by himself. All 11 guys on offense have to do their job or Trey isn’t able to accomplish this. It’s just that football is a team game and it requires everyone to do their job properly,” said Reynolds.

Reynolds hopes that Rominger will leave a lasting effect on his team.

“Trey is a very quiet kid and doesn’t draw a lot of attention to himself so I hope that everyone else paid attention to his work ethic. He worked year-round, and oftentimes on his own in the evenings to get himself ready to play. He physically took a beating during the season but was durable enough to withstand it. Hopefully, the returning players will follow his example,” said Reynolds.

Friday night, the Rams will face the North Knox Warriors in the last regular season game at Cook Field, starting at 7 p.m.