Rams Defeat Eagles, Face Lions Tonight

Ashleigh Garcia, Paolite Staff Writer

On Tuesday April 12, the Rams Varsity Tennis team won against the Lanesville Eagles 3-2.

“I was very proud of the girls this evening. They were able to shake off nerves and play a good match against a very solid Lanesville team,” said Head Coach Tyla Whitfield.

The top single player was sophomore Madison Warren, who defeated Grace Campbell 6-3, 6-0.

Sophomore Maddi Warren eyes her next shot. Photo by Ashleigh Garcia

“I feel very proud of myself, I was down 2-3 and I came back and won 6-3, 6-0. I think I played pretty good, it was a slow start but I got in the groove of the game and played how my coaches have taught me,” said Warren.

Number two singles player senior Rylie Atkins lost to Emma Campbell 6-4, 4-6, 6-7(1) and number three singles player senior Amanda Bowles lost to Lauren Schneider 5-7, 3-6.

Another win to add to the overall team score was senior Tinsley Moffatt and sophomore Gracie Brown, who defeated Rachel Leffler and Kailin Scarberry 6-4, 6-0.

Senior Tinsley Moffatt waits for her opponent to return the ball. Photo by TyLynn Taylor

“With this being our first match, we are off to a great start. The rain held us back a few matches allowing other teams to get some matches in. Gracie and I played really well tonight, we won our match 6-4, 6-0.  We all, as a team, stayed in the game and fought back and ended up winning altogether 3-2. I’m really proud of this team and I can’t wait to see what we accomplish this season,” said Moffatt. 

Brown has two things in mind to help her improve throughout this season.

“I think I need to improve on keeping my head up and moving on to the next point,” said Brown.

To add to the team score, seniors Chelsea Deweese and sophomore Micaela MacDonald stepped up and defeated Nina Irvin and Jane Davis 6-3, 6-0. This was the last match for the varsity tennis team and would have ultimately decided the winner. 

Senior Chelsea Deweese returns the ball. Photo by Ashleigh Garcia

“I’m very excited and proud of my teammates for starting off our season with a win! Although we may have had some first-match nerves, that didn’t last long,” said Deweese. 

This match was the first match Macdonald played in a doubles match alongside Deweese, but the two came out with a win. 

For the JV team freshman Taylor Patton defeated Emma Shaffer 8-6. 

“I feel like the game I played was probably one of my best games, mentally,” said Patton.

Freshman Taylor Patton swings at the ball. Photo by Ashleigh Garcia

Also for the JV, sophomore Lina Zheng lost to Jaymee Jansa 5-8.

The Lady Rams Tennis team will travel to Salem tonight to face the Lions at 5 p.m.