Veterans Day Planning Progress

Taylor Patton

Make sure you’re following PHS Media News for all your Announcements and School updates.

Shelby Chapman, Paolite Staff Writer

Veterans Day was established by the U.S. government as a day to honor all of America’s veterans. Veterans are living Americans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces at sometime in their lives. Celebrated each year on November 11, the same date that World War I ended.

The annual Veterans Day program will be held in Chambers Gymnasium, beginning around 10 a.m. and will end at around 11 a.m. with the playing of taps. The student body, staff members, veterans who are being honored and guests from the community will be in attendance.

U.S. History Teacher Chris Lindley is in charge of coordinating the program and has been since 2005.

Lindley and students in his AP U.S. History class will present various readings, including patriotic poetry and the history of Veterans Day also. The choir and band will perform. The highlight will be the recognition and honoring of local veterans.

The program will feature a guest speaker, Chris Higgins, who is now a retired U.S. Navy veteran.

By Indiana law, all schools are required to hold some version of a Veterans Day program, but each year Lindley feels compelled to make the assembly meaningful.

“Since we have a legal requirement, why not go ahead and make it excellent and give our school the opportunity to provide a great community service in honoring these men and women who have done so much for our nation and are still a significant part of the life of our community?” said Lindley.

He hopes that the program will leave an impact on students, ranging from inspiring them to serve to giving them an understanding of their loved ones who have served. Overall, Lindley wants the Veterans Day convocation to teach students about what it means to be both a Veteran and an American.

“However, my greatest hope is always that [students] will be more appreciative of the veterans, understanding what our nation has asked of these men and women and knowing more about themselves as Americans,” said Lindley.