Rams Face Bulldogs in Conference Match-up

Taylor Morgan

Junior Trey Rominger drives to the basket.

Cooper Spires, Sports Writer

Junior Willson Windhorst jumps up for the tip. (Taylor Morgan)

The Boys Varsity Basketball team traveled to Salem on Tuesday to face the Lions and won their thirteenth game of the season with a score of 67-58.

“This was kind of a trap game for us.  It was their Senior Night at Salem and they have a lot of senior contributors.  This is a game we are supposed to win and Salem has nothing to lose.  Those teams are always dangerous,” said Head Coach Dusty Cole.

The Rams were led by sophomore Fletcher Cole with 24 points, junior Willson Windhorst with 16 points and junior Trey Rominger with 14 points.

“But, we came out and played well on the road. Willson really got us going early on. He had the hot hand and our guys did a nice job of getting him the ball. He hit three 3’s in the first quarter and had 13 points in the first period. He has really been playing at a high level for us recently. From that point, Fletcher and Trey took over the scoring duties.  Willson’s shooting really opens up the floor for our guards. It allows us to space things out and attack more efficiently. Fletcher had a good shooting night as well as he knocked down three 3’s in the game and also went nine for ten from the FT line. Fletcher has been great all season long. Trey was solid all night as usual and he controlled the paint,” said Cole.

The Rams have improved a lot from the beginning of the season.

“The biggest difference in our team from right now and early in the season is the play of our role players and bench guys.  Early on, they were trying to survive, trying not to make mistakes. Now they are adding a lot of value to our team,” said Cole.

Since senior Isaac Cornett-McBride has been out from an ankle injury multiple players have stepped up and contributed.

Freshman Trey Minton dribbles the ball down the court. (Taylor Morgan)

“[Brandon] Cook had three offensive rebounds in the game and comes up with four points. Cooper [Spires] has surprisingly been rebounding the ball really well. He is averaging about four rebounds a game the last five games or so. He also had four points. Treighlin [Minton] and Andrew [Kumpf] both had a bucket. If we can get 12-15 points a night from those guys then they are going to be hard to beat,” said Cole.

Tonight the Rams will face the Orleans Bulldogs on the road. The Bulldogs are 16-2 and ranked #3 in 1A. JV starting at 6, with Varsity to follow.