Annual Photo Show Returns
Annual Photo Show Returns
Lola Beavers, Paolite Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
The JAG Closet is setting up for the giveaway to be held May 2-3.
Summer is Coming
Ian Sullivan, Video Creator • May 1, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Call The Vets

Animal Care Careers Start at PHS
Courtesy Photo
Senior Jadlyn Lee holds a patient at the clinic.

The veterinary industry is a notoriously competitive field with unique specialties. In the United States, the acceptance rate for veterinary school sits at 10-15%. Although the responsibility and pressure that come with such jobs are often intimidating, three seniors are now on the path to begin working in the veterinary field after graduation.

Seniors Carley Higgins, Jadlyn Lee and TyLynn Taylor have each taken various veterinary and animal science classes with Veterinary Science Teacher Cory Scott. All three are on track to become Certified Veterinary Assistants and will take their certification test at the end of the school year. Currently, the students work at Kirk Veterinary Clinic and Orange County Animal Clinic.

The students all have similar stories about how they started the Veterinary Pathway.

“I got started in the pathway because growing up I have always enjoyed spending time around and with animals. I took my first class to get me started in the pathway in eighth grade with Mr. Woolston, and have been taking Scott’s classes ever since,” said Higgins.

While working at the clinics, the students have a variety of duties such as restraining the animals for the veterinarian, filling vaccines and working on
postoperative procedures. In the clinic, they also set up and clean rooms and restock syringes. The three students have faced ups and downs throughout their time at the clinics.

“There are a lot of benefits of taking this class, such as the experience that I am gaining and how it shows me my steps moving forward and what I should expect in the future. Some of the downs are that it takes a lot of time and a lot of dedication. Some very rough moments come along the way,” said Lee.

After graduation, some of the students plan on working in a veterinary clinic with their certification while attending college. For students looking at starting the Veterinary Pathway, the current veterinary students recommend holding yourself accountable and staying determined.

“My advice for others who are starting their vet pathway is to always pay attention to the lessons, if you have specific readings print them out and highlight the most important information, know your terminology, and study with note cards. Any chance you get to do anything with the pigs such
as shots, helping birth the baby pigs, or ear notching, participate in it. If you have any questions on anything ask! It will only hurt you if you don’t,” said Taylor.

Students interested in the Veterinary Pathway should contact Scott or Guidance Counselor Rachel Robinson for more information.