US History Teacher Chris  Lindley poses
with Museum winner junior Taylor Patton. Patton’s project was about the Uranium Mill Spill of 1979.
Not a ‘Total Disaster’
Coy Busick, Managing Editor • May 10, 2024
News to Know
Summer School Goes Virtual
Lola Beavers, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Peanuts Are Out

New Rule Restricts Some Food at School
Heather Nichols
PHS has started to be a peanut free school

On December 19, School Nurse Emme Moore emailed parents and guardians, teachers and staff, and students about the new policy at Paoli High School upon returning to school in the new year. The email was regarding the campus being a peanut-free campus.

The email stated: “Parents/Guardians and Students: In order to provide a safe school day for our students with severe allergies, food items containing peanut and/or tree nuts will no longer be served or offered during school hours at Paoli Jr-Sr High School starting January 3rd, 2024. Students and staff are discouraged from bringing food items containing peanuts and/or tree nuts to school.” 

Moore stated the reason for the change was to protect students.

“Several students have nut related allergies. The school decided to adopt this rule to protect its students,” said Moore.

The change impacts not only what students bring to school but also some existing foods the school serves. Popcorn sold at sporting events is now popped in a new type of oil that does not contain nuts. 

Despite the change, vending machines will see no changes to content.

“The vending machines are on a timer and only work after school hours, so it’s okay for peanut and tree nut-containing products to be purchased,” said Moore.

The rule is more restrictive at Throop Elementary. Nut-related products, including extracurriculars, are prohibited in Throop at any time. If a student has brought some nut-related product from home, parents will get a call and a reminder that such products are no longer allowed on campus. 

If a student at PHS violates this policy, they may be reminded that the campus is nut-free, but most likely, no further action will take place.