Prom Photo Booth 2024
Prom Photo Booth 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 24, 2024
A group poses at the 2024 Grand March
Grand March 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 23, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Rebuilding History

Crane Takes Center Stage in Historic Restoration
Olivia McSpadden
A crane hovers over the Courthouse in preparation for repairs.

On August 7, a violent storm swept through Paoli. During this storm, there were five tornadoes that circled Orange County, causing devastating damage all over the county, including to the Orange County Courthouse. Of the damage suffered, a majority was done to the cupola, which sits atop the courthouse and houses the large electric clock inside.

The damage was significant enough to warrant an entire removal and re-installation of the cupola and clock. The courthouse has been a staple of Paoli’s history, as its initial construction began in 1847, and took three years to complete. The clock and cupola were added six years later in 1856, and cemented the building as an icon of Paoli. Also throughout the courthouse’s history, it has had some other repairs made, with the most recent, excluding the ongoing project, being about six years ago in 2018.

The project to restore the courthouse this past fall officially began on October 23, with the addition of a crane to help with the removal of the cupola. As of now, the cupola has been removed, and has been taken to Indianapolis to be repaired. The outer shell of the cupola will also be getting new copper sheeting, in order to give it a fresher look.

The clock and bell are currently in Ohio, at the Verdin Company, which specializes in repairing historic clocks. Once the cupola, clock and bell are all
refurbished, they will be taken back to Paoli, where the reconstruction process will begin, including a new foundation to support the tower. After the re-installation of the cupola, the roof will also be seeing some changes with the installation of a new copper roof and reinforced chimneys.

The cost of the project is expected to be approximately $1.5 million, and that money will be coming from the county’s insurance, along with Paoli’s
deductible of $2,500. The construction contract is active until June 1, 2024, so it is to be expected that the project will be finished around that time.