Prom Photo Booth 2024
Prom Photo Booth 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 24, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Exam Policy Enhances Attendance

Heather Nichols
News to know

With the final exam exemption policy returning to PHS, students need to have a C or above in the class and not miss more than four days. Because of this new policy, many people have started caring more about their attendance so they do not have to take the final. But, why is attendance such a big deal?

Assistant Principal Adam Stroud makes it clear that attendance is crucial towards student’ grades and other aspects of their lives.

“Attendance matters in education because it directly influences student learning, academic success, social development, and overall preparation for
the future. It is a fundamental aspect of creating a positive and effective learning environment,” said Stroud.

This policy change had major impact on the school’s attendance rate.

“Our 94% rate, overall attendance, and chronic absenteeism numbers have all improved over the past two years,” said Stroud.

Our overall attendance rate is now around 96%, which is up 2% from last year. On IDOE GPS, the state data dashboard that hosts statistics for many school metrics, like SAT scores, graduation rates, and attendance, Paoli has an attendance rate of 50.7%, Orleans has 73.8%, Mitchell has 77.8%, Dubois has 85%, West Washington has 50.8% and Crawford has 33.5%.

In Stroud’s opinion, the final exam policy positively impacted the school’s overall attendance data.

“It has made a difference. Improved our 94% rate by 26% in the first semester,” said Stroud.