Prom Photo Booth 2024
Prom Photo Booth 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 24, 2024
A group poses at the 2024 Grand March
Grand March 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 23, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Skills to Hack Your Life

February Day Devoted to Life Skills
Taylor Morgan
Junior Rhi Pinnick watches as local mechanic Frankie Warren demonstrates how to check how much oil is in a vehicle.

For the half-day scheduled in February, PHS used the day dedicated to teaching students a variety of life hacks. The Positive Behavioral Interventions
and Supports (PBIS) Committee came up with all of the ideas and possible workshops that would be available to the students.

After the ideas were sorted through and the workshops were set in stone, a survey was sent out to the students. The students could pick their top three options out of the 22 available choices.

The workshops included: public speaking and professionalism, quick meal prep, personal finances and investment, tax preparation, apprenticeship, basic household tools and repairs, personal banking, basic car maintenance, home maintenance training, voter registration drive, travel tips and prep, car maintenance, home fire safety basics, job search skills, cross-cultural communication skills, law enforcement and teenagers, household plumbing tips and troubleshooting, grocery shopping and stocking your pantry, investing for beginners, basic HVAC knowledge and maintenance, professionalism on the job and insurance needs.

“I went to the cross- cultural communication class and both of the car maintenance classes. I rather enjoyed the car maintenance classes due to the fact that it was a very welcoming environment. We learned how to change oil and do a maintenance check in Frank’s class, and we also learned how to check our antifreeze in Steve’s class. I think my favorite part of the life-skills day was listening to the FFA officers,” said junior Rhi Pinnick.

The presenters and instructors also came in many different forms. Some of the instructors were PHS teachers, some were community members and some were even FFA State Officers.

“My speaker, Mr. Shellenberger, was great. His presentation kept the students’ attention extremely well, and I feel that everyone learned something new. I hope all presentations were as beneficial for the students as Mr. Shellenberger’s was,” said math teacher Paul Bosley.

All of the workshops were presented and taught in the school. Each workshop was assigned its own room throughout the school.