(812) 723-3905

Beavers Selected Mr. PHS

Windhorst Selected People’s Choice in Prom Fundraising Event

On March 12, eight senior boys gathered together in the Ruth Uyesugi Auditorium for a chance to become the next Mr. PHS. Each candidate was sponsored by a school club, sport, or organization and participated in an on-stage question and answer session, physical fitness test, talent show, and formal wear event.
Mr. PHS contenders included Jason Beavers, Mark Drzewiecki, Baiden Kinnaman, Trey Rominger, Kayson Simpson, McKinley Stewart, and Willson Windhorst.
Each candidate had a senior girl coordinator to help with their big night. The coordinators were Gracie Brown, Nadia Garcia, Carley Higgins, Micaela MacDonald, Mackenzie Peters, Lily Stroud, Stella Windhorst, and Liliann Woodsmall.
During the event, spectators could vote for People’s Choice by placing donations into the candidates’ buckets. The candidate whose bucket contained the most money won the award, which was announced at the end of the event. This year’s People’s Choice Award went to Willson Windhorst, who received half of the money donated to his bucket.
“My favorite part was getting to do my talent because I thought it gave some people a good laugh,” said Windhorst.
After their performances Mr. PHS was also announced and received a $200 prize, sunglasses donated by InFocus EyeCare, and their picture on the plaque for the next year. This year’s Mr. PHS went to Jason Beavers and his coordinator, Carley Higgins.
Beavers was excited to be crowned Mr. PHS and shared advice for future contestants who may be nervous about their performance.
“It was awesome. I tried pretty hard because I had told Carley I was going to win her sunglasses, so it was nice to know that the effort paid off. My advice is to just be yourself, and have fun with it. I was stressed for a week in advance and stressed up until the second it started. As soon as I got over that, it was super fun and I had a great time just getting to act like an idiot on stage,” said Beavers.
After all bills and cash prizes are paid, the money raised will go towards funding the expenses of PHS Prom. This year’s Mr. PHS raised around $2,000 for Prom that will take place on April 20.