(812) 723-3905

HOSA to Compete at State Contest

Heather Nichols
News to Know Graphic

On April 10, HOSA members will travel to the Indianapolis Downtown Hampton Inn and Convention Center for the HOSA Future Health Professionals Indiana State Leadership Conference.
Students attending this event are junior Joshua Zapien and Rhiannon Pinnick, sophomore Aurora Hays, and freshmen Allison Livingston, Addilyn Payton, Cheyenne Carter, Ava Middleton and Aiyanna Hall
The students have been studying and practicing skills with their Health Sciences Teacher, Mara Eisele Carrico, to compete against other students across Indiana. While at the event, they will attend interactive workshops and educational symposiums, listen to candidates for HOSA officer elections, and attend the awards ceremony on the last day.
The categories they compete in are Nurse Assisting, Medical Terminology, Behavioral Health, Nutrition, Growth and Development, and Health Career Display.
There will be thousands of dollars in scholarships from multiple colleges in Indiana and Louisville for winning students.
“We have had students be awarded full tuition scholarships in the past,” said Eisele Carrico. “Each one of the students could have a great chance to be in the top 10, but there will only be one 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each category.
One student, junior Josh Zapien, is returning to the contest after attending last year.
“He will feel a little more confident this year since he attended the conference last year and has a better idea of what to expect. I wish them all well,” said Eisele Carrico.
Eisele Carrico hopes all of her students enjoy the opportunity.
“I hope they will step out of the box and challenge themselves to meet new friends and take in all the excitement of being in a conference with approximately 1500 other students who are interested in Health Careers,” said Eisele Carrico.
Students who place in the categories will then travel to Houston, Texas, in June for the HOSA Future Health Professionals International Leadership Conference.