Distinguished Sites Banner
Rocky the Ram gets escorted out by her security guards.
Rammy's Return to Honor Teachers
Tyler Hannon, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024
News to Know graphic.
Senior Say Farewell
TyLynn Taylor, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Brown Moves on to the Next Chapter

Coy Busick
English Teacher Loretta Brown teaches her seventh grade class.

Loretta Brown, the seventh-grade English teacher at PHS, has worked at PHS for 21 years, and is now planning on retirement. Brown has dedicated a large portion of her life to teaching. Her favorite part of her job is getting to know her students and encouraging them to be more interested in reading. She enjoys the challenge of finding materials that kids are willing to read.

Brown started teaching in 2003. Prior to teaching at PHS, Brown was a teacher at Oakland City College. Before that, she was a news reporter and photographer for the Times-Mail Newspaper in Bedford. She mainly reported on some of the interesting school events, which kind of started her interest in school teaching and other school related careers.

Other than teaching, some of her hobbies that she likes are swimming, spending time with her family, reading, writing, photography, and learning new things. When thinking about retirement, Brown is excited about all of the possibilities of adventures that await her after doing so.

“I am excited about spending more time with my three grandsons. I am a lifelong learner. I am excited about learning new things I haven’t had time
to pursue while teaching. I’m hoping to learn how to draw something better than a sad stick person,” said Brown.

After she leaves, she hopes that all of her students know everything she did because she cares about them and she wants them to do well in school and life. To her, education is all about learning to think, and we all need to be able to think for our lifelong journeys.

Over the time that Brown has worked at PHS, she has made some great friends that have had significant effects on her, including high school English Teacher Maria Wishart.

“Mrs. Brown and I have great conversations. She is pleasant to talk to and cares about her students. I am excited for her to have more time to spend with her family and pursue activities she enjoys,” said Wishart.