(812) 723-3905

News to Us: Cook Namesake Recognized in New Scholarship

The name Cook Field is synonymous with Paoli Rams football. But many wonder how it got that name. Who was Cook?

The field was dedicated to the late John Dale Cook, who was a member of the PHS Class of 1963. He was also in the Marines, and fought and died in the Vietnam War.

Cook has become such a prominent member in Paoli’s history, a scholarship is being dedicated in his honor and funds are currently being raised for this year’s scholarship recipient.

Each year, a PHS senior will receive $1,000 in the Cpl. John D. Cook Scholarship. Throop Student Council and the PHS Booster Club will help with fundraising by selling bracelets, necklaces and key chains commemorating the scholarship.

On September 20, during the Paoli and West Washington football game, the Cook Field will be rededicated in his honor.

Skip Lambdin was a friend of Cook’s. Lambdin played football with him on PHS’s first ever football team. He described John as “a caring person, active in the community.” Lambdin has played a big part in publicizing the scholarship.

For more information about the scholarship and how you can get involved see the Cpl. John D. Cook Scholarship Facebook page.

Story by Chase Meehan
Photos by Shelby Rice