FAFSA Night Coming December 7

River Fleming, NP Design Editor, Editor in Chief

With graduation inching closer and closer each day, seniors are beginning to prepare for their futures. Several of those seniors are planning to attend college and are still determining how they will pay for their education beyond high school.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that determines eligibility for federal, state and institutional financial aid. Filing the FAFSA can help make the cost of post-secondary education and different training programs manageable by providing access to financial aid.

The FAFSA officially opened on October 1 and the application closes for seniors on April 15, 2023. Getting a head start is highly recommended as some aid is first come, first serve. Parents and students can apply online at studentaid.gov or on a paper application. Both are free of cost.

In order to file the FAFSA, parents and students need to have an FSA ID for student and parent. These can be created at FAFSA. gov. They will also need to have student and parent Social Security Numbers or alien registration numbers, parent and student 2021 tax records, records of assets, untaxed income and a list of schools to which one wishes to send their FAFSA information. Up to ten schools can be selected to receive this information when applying online.

Parents must use their 2021 federal tax information. It takes about 30 minutes to complete the form. Parents and students should expect their student aid report approximately three to four weeks after filing. Students must reapply to the FAFSA each year they plan to attend a college or university to continue receiving aid.

Guidance Counselor Rachel Robinson encourages all high school seniors to complete the application.

“There are federal funds available to help individuals pay for college. College is expensive and completing the FAFSA helps students potentially become eligible to receive those funds,” said Robinson.

PHS will host a FAFSA Night on Wednesday, December 7 in the high school computer lab, room 114. Representatives from INvestEd and the Commission for Higher Education will be in attendance to help provide assistance. Parents will need to bring their 2021 tax forms.