Rams Set to Take Mat

Wrestling season opens tomorrow at Jennings County

TyLynn Taylor

The Varsity Wrestling team will travel to Jenning County. Their meet will begin at 6 p.m.

Austin Benales, Sports Writer

The Varsity Wrestling team will kick off their season on tomorrow, November 29 at Jennings County, starting at 6 p.m.

While the team has struggled in the past with not having enough wrestlers on the team, they have managed to bring in lots of new wrestlers for the upcoming season.

Seniors this year include Austin Benales, Marty Higgins, Ian Livingston and Adin Monroe.

The young team will benefit from the experience senior leaders Benales and Higgins have to offer. Both are returning after missing the previous season due to injuries.

“I know I missed out on a lot, but hopefully I’ll be getting back into the swing of things quickly and helping the new guys as soon as possible,” said Higgins.

Underclassmen this year include: juniors Quinton Albertson, Adam Barnhart, Matteo Sambruni and Larry Warren, sophomores Peyton Baker, Ryley Butler, Andrew Carpenter, and Jonny Shellenberger and freshmen Kolt Bonta, Deagan Brashear, Jacobi Piper and Charlie Higgins.

Captains this year are seniors Austin Benales, Marty Higgins and Adin Monroe.

Head Coach JD Emerick shares his goals for this season.

“I would like to see our team win our conference and be competitive throughout our schedule this season. Individually, I’d like to see our experienced wrestlers make a run in the state tournament and our younger wrestlers learn from the wrestling culture we are trying to build here.

The team did some work over the summer with open mats, but they have a lot of work to accomplish till they are ready to get out there on the mat. 

They will be looking at their seniors for leadership and guidance throughout the season. 

Monroe explains his feelings about this upcoming season.

“It is really encouraging to see a lot of new younger faces in the program. I am excited to see how we can help them become the best wrestlers that they can be,” said Monroe.