Annual PACT Angel Tree A Success

Record Number of 107 Individuals to Receive Gifts

Wyatt Blankenship

Gifts for Angel Tree recipients fill the PACT room desks awaiting pick-up.

Shelby Chapman, Paolite Staff Writer

In one of the poorest Indiana counties, it is no surprise that families often find themselves struggling financially. The holidays only make these difficulties more clear, with funds stretched thin by trying to scrape together enough for gifts.

The Hoosier Hills PACT Angel Tree program began at PHS in 2014 because the organization realized the majority of programs helping with Christmas gifts for students ended at the elementary level, leaving junior high and high school students out.

“[The Angel Tree] started because PACT felt the need for those kids to be covered as well,” said PACT Coordinator Jodi Henry.

Continuing the long-running Angel Tree tradition, Henry is overseeing the project for her sixth official year. She, along with other PACT workers and donors, are helping those who are unable to provide presents for their families during the holidays.

Referrals are made by teachers and staff at PHS for students in need. Over the past few weeks, the number of referrals has grown — a major increase from the 20 referrals in the first year for Angel Tree.

“I started out with 60 angels this year and ended up with 100. That is my record and is the most the program has ever had,” said Henry.

Sixty-nine different donors have helped to fulfill the need the Angel Tree has seen this year. The gifts purchased will be picked up by angels this week.

“A lot goes into making this happen every year and I am so thankful for everyone that helps make this program so successful,” said Henry.