Rams Net Winning Season

Team Finishes Season 13-6 Heading into Sectional
Taylor Morgan
Sophomore Kirk Hughes hits a ball during a match early in the season.

The Varsity Tennis team went 2-1 to end their season in the past week, setting their season record at 13-6.
The team kicked off their week at home versus Eastern Pekin on Monday, September 18. The boys crushed the Musketeers, beating them 5-0. The individual scores were: sophomore Kirk Hughes won No. 1 singles, junior Jonny Shellenberger won No. 2 singles, sophomore Dakota Mousty won No. 3 singles, freshmen Colton Henderson a

Freshman Blaze Knapp returns a ball. (Taylor Morgan)

nd Blaze Knapp won No. 1 doubles, and sophomore Chad Sullivan and freshman Klay Turner won No. 2 doubles.

Junior Johnny Shellenberger throws up a ball to serve during a match. (Taylor)

“I listen to music on the bus before every game to prepare. Then I leave the team in stretches before the game,” said sophomore Jonny Shellenberger.
The Rams then played Floyd Central JV away on Thursday, September 21, and brought home another win, 3-2. Winning for the Rams were sophomore Kirk Hughes at No.1 singles, junior Johnny Shellenberger playing No. 2 singles, and the No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Chad Sullivan and freshman Klay Turner.
“Klay and I have worked really well together. It feels like we instantly clicked. So we are doing really well,” said sophomore Chad Sullivan.
The Varsity’s last game of the week was home against Lanesville on Friday, September 22. They lost 2-3 against the Eagles. The two winning Rams were sophomore Kirk Hughes at No. 1 singles and junior Johnny Shellenberger playing No. 2 singles.
“I think that our season has gone pretty good …, and I think we are ready for sectional play,” said sophomore Kirkland Hughes.
On Monday, September 25, the Rams traveled to North Harrison to face the Cougars and finished with a score of 3-2 in the final regular season match.

Freshman Conner Henderson hits a serve to an opponent. (Taylor Morgan)

Winning matches for the Rams were sophomore Kirk Hughes won No.1 singles, junior Jonny Shellenberger won No.2 Singles, and sophomore Dakota Mousty won No.3 singles.

“We finished the season at 13-6. I’m very proud of the boys. We have a young team where only one starter returned from last year’s team. That team was 15-3, so to turn around and have a season like this with such a young team means good things for the future,” said Head Coach Matt Wolfe.
On Wednesday, the team will travel to Loogootee for the first round of Sectional. The Rams will face North Daviess starting at 4:30 p.m.