(812) 723-3905

Close to Home

Construction Students Begin Work on Home for PHS Family
Olivia Mcspadden
Members of the construction class work on the roof of the house on Cherry Street.

Students in the Construction Trades program are once again putting their skills to use to help build a home for a community member. This year’s house is being built in conjunction with the Orange County Habitat for Humanity and is the 18th house students in Jon Shellenberger’s students have
helped to build.

This year’s home sits just a few blocks from the school on Cherry Street and will be the home of senior Harleigh Poe, sophomore Abby Poe, their younger sisters Lynlie and Maggie Phillips, and their mom Elizabeth Phillips.

“The process to be able to get this house was challenging. I am excited and grateful to all the students and staff who are helping out with the project,” said Harleigh.

Sophomore Elijah York works in the house. (Olivia McSpadden)

The OC Habitat Board selected the family after an application process.

“Construction Trades is a Career and Technical Education program that offers students an opportunity to gain the skills, knowledge, and training necessary to become successful and valued employees in the construction industry,” said Shellenberger.

One student involved in the build is senior Logan Flannery.

“It feels pretty good and it’s cool how we get to build houses for students and families,” said Flannery.

Shellenberger sees the skills in his program as a way of helping people in the community, and also giving the construction trades students a great experience.

“Through this class, students first study construction safety, tool use, and principles of construction in a classroom and laboratory setting before going on and gaining hands-on training at the class job site,” said Shellenberger.

Anyone interested in the construction pathway should contact Shellenberger or see one of the guidance counselors