(812) 723-3905

Rams Wrestling Wraps Up

New Coach Sums Up Season
Olivia McSpadden
Junior Jonny Shellenberger attempts to pin his opponent during a match.

With the year continuing on, some of the winter sports have started coming to an end. The Rams Varsity Wrestling team has concluded their season
after months of hard work and dedication. Throughout the season the Rams had their ups and downs, but as a team, they held together and pulled through.

During the 2023-2024 season, the team had someone new on the coaching staff. JT Zapien was the team’s new head coach this season. Zapien ended his first year as head coach with a team record of 4-7. The Rams also placed first in the PLAC conference meet, which is the first time it has happened in program history.

“We had a really good group of guys this season. They all made a lot of progress, and I’m very optimistic about the direction that the program is headed. I think the bright spot of the season was winning the PLAC as a team for the first time since they started having a PLAC conference title for wrestling. I thought it was a good first season as head coach, and I’m looking forward to next season,” said Zapien.

The 4-7 record mentioned earlier was a team record. There was some wrestlers on the team who had very successful individual seasons. All team members had great seasons, but one specific wrestler stood out, this being junior Jonny Shellenberger. Shellenberger placed third in sectional, making him the only Ram to move onto regionals. In addition to making it to regionals, Shellenberger also won his weight class for PLAC, and had a final season record of 32-7.

“It was a big letdown to lose this early but regionals was a big leap for me and now I just have to look forward to my senior year and improve even more,” said Shellenberger.