Annual Photo Show Returns
Annual Photo Show Returns
Lola Beavers, Paolite Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
The JAG Closet is setting up for the giveaway to be held May 2-3.
Summer is Coming
Ian Sullivan, Video Creator • May 1, 2024
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Unified Champions Planned for Next Week
Kylie Flannery, Hillcrest Assistant Editor • May 1, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Fall Athletes Celebrated for Seasons

Courtesy of Neil Dittmer
Members of the football team pose at their banquet on December 2.

The fall sports banquets are held after the season has ended to honor players with awards. The fall sports include cross-country, girls’ golf, girls’ volleyball, boys’ tennis and football. The cross-country banquet was held on October 30. Freshman Addie Payton and sophomore Jacoby Piper both won the Most Valuable Players, freshman Ada McSpadden and Piper won the Most Improved and freshman Zaden Taylor and sophomore Louise Favre won Mental Attitude.

“It was a really good way to start off my high school cross-country career. I am very hopeful for my next three years to come,” said Payton.

Girls Golf has not set a date for their banquet yet, however, the awards have already been decided. Junior Avery Crews won Most Valuable Player, senior Micaela MacDonald won Most Improved and sophomore Alivia Sweet won Mental Attitude.

“It went the way I expected it to. I’m proud to be Most Valuable Player, and it shows me as leader of the team,” said Crews.

Girls’ volleyball held their banquet on November 29. For the junior varsity, sophomore Abby Poe won Most Valuable Player, senior Devin Walton won Most Improved and junior Lilly Hall won Mental Attitude. For the varsity team, seniors Faith Gammon and Lily Stroud won Most Valuable Players and seniors Carley Higgins and Stella Windhorst won Mental Attitude. Other awards that Stroud received were Most Assists, Most Aces and Team Captain. Gammon and Garcia were also team Captains as well. Senior Gracie Brown won Most Digs, senior Abby Tapp won Most Blocks and senior
Ella Spires won Most Kills. Gammon and Stroud were also selected for the PLAC All-Conference. Another award available for the players was the Gold Star Award; this is an academic award only available for seniors. The following seniors won this award: Gracie Brown, Nadia Garcia, Carley Higgins, Lily Stroud, Abby Tapp and Stella Windhorst. Faith Gammon and Ella Spires won the Silver Award.

“I think it was the best way to end my high school career. The season went the best as anyone could have predicted. Even though we didn’t win sectionals, I think it was one of our best games,” said Stroud.

The Boys’ Tennis team had their banquet on November 29. Sophomore Kirkland Hughes won Most Valuable Player, freshman Blaze Knapp won Most Improved, sophomore Chad Sullivan won Mental Attitude and junior Jonny Shellenberger won Rookie of the Year.

“I think our season went well considering we lost 6 of our 7 starters from the previous year. We still managed to finish 13-6, which is a great team accomplishment and everyone stepped up. Being named most valuable player means quite a lot to me and I am happy I got it but I am more determined to help lead my team to a Sectional championship down the road,” said Hughes.

Football held its banquet on December 3. For the junior varsity team, there was only one award given; freshman Rusty Turner won Most Valuable Player. Junior Fletcher Cole and senior Trey Rominger won the IFCA-All State Award. Rominger also won Most Valuable Player, Most Valuable Linebacker, Ram Award and Hammer Award. Cole also won Most Valuable Offensive Player. Junior Peyton Baker won Most Valuable Offensive Line. Junior Ian Drake won Most Valuable Defensive Player and Most Valuable Defensive Line. Junior Jeremiah Hutcheson won Most Improved. Junior Jaxson Reynolds won the Pancake Award. Sophomore Coen Brace won Most Valuable Junior Varsity and Mental Attitude. Sophomore Treighlin Minton won Most Valuable Defensive Back. Sophomore Dane Padgett won Most Valuable Skill.

“It went well; I just wish we could have gone further in the tournament. I felt honored winning Most Valuable Player,” said Rominger.