Prom Photo Booth 2024
Prom Photo Booth 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 24, 2024

(812) 723-3905

Maddie’s Road to Recovery

Vernon Looks to Return to Court Before Break
Faith Gammon
Sophomore Maddie Vernon (pictured far left) standing in the huddle.

A basketball injury left sophomore Maddie Vernon with a torn ACL at the beginning of May earlier this year.

Vernon was playing in an AAU basketball tournament when she got hurt and later found out she had torn her ACL and meniscus.

“My first thought when I realized what had happened was knowing I couldn’t play sports for six months,” said Vernon.

Undergoing surgery gave Maddie the best chance of playing basketball and volleyball again, so on June 20, her surgery was scheduled, and her recovery began. Her surgery prevented her from playing her sophomore volleyball season, and she has missed half of her basketball season.

“Pushing myself to get better has been the toughest part of the whole process,” said Vernon.

Vernon went to physical therapy two times a week the first couple of months after surgery, but for the last three months, she only had to go once every other week.

“I only have one week left of physical therapy, and I should get cleared after that,” said Vernon.

At the rate she has recovered and her work ethic to play basketball, she goes to the doctor and is expected to be cleared on December 13 to do all sports and physical activity.

“Don’t take anything for granted, you never know how fast something can be taken from you,” said Vernon.