(812) 723-3905

Hudelson’s Hobby

PE Teacher Shares Her Healthy Pastime
Hudelson posing for a picture with her Womens League Volleyball Team members.
Courtesy of Summer Hudelson
Hudelson posing for a picture with her Women’s League Volleyball Team members.

Health and Physical Educational Teacher Summer Hudelson spends most of her time teaching students about positive ways to keep your body and mind healthy. Hudelson also applies these same aspects to her own life in her free time.

Hudelson is one of the members of the Women’s League Volleyball Team, which is through the Bedford Fire Department. This is one of the many things Hudelson does to stay healthy. She also coaches Cross Country and girl’s Track and Field here at PHS.

“A few years after I started teaching, I saw the sign-up information. I talked to a couple girls I played volleyball with in high school and a girl I coached/taught with and we decided to sign up,” said Hudelson.

Hudelson first started playing volleyball when she was little. Both her mother and her grandmother coached volleyball, so Hudelson was in a gym watching or helping quite frequently. She actually started playing herself in 5th grade. Hudelson’s family’s involvement with the sport is one of the reasons it is an important aspect of her life.

“My grandmother, mom, and both of my aunts coached volleyball. I tagged along with my mom and grandmother to practice when I was younger,” said Hudelson.

Hudelson plays with her club during the fall and winter seasons. Her team’s season starts in October and lasts all through February. The team plays once a week in games of four-on-four. The team she is on has been playing together for the past 20 years. Some of Hudelson’s teammates are old teammates from high school. Their fourth player is someone who Hudelson used to coach volleyball with.

Hudelson plans to continue to play with her team. It is one of the many things she does to stay in shape and stay active. She encourages those around her to do the same, to stay healthy.

“It is important to stay active, especially as you become older. Being active and trying to be fit helps a person in many ways, not only physically, but mentally and socially. I try to do something active every day. It is much easier and people have more time to be active when they are younger, but a person has to make time and make it a priority as they get older,” said Hudelson.