Prom Photo Booth 2024
Prom Photo Booth 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 24, 2024
A group poses at the 2024 Grand March
Grand March 2024
Kylie Flannery, Photographer • April 23, 2024

(812) 723-3905

STAFF REVIEW: ‘Wonka’ a Sweet Treat

Brown Applauds the Musical Fantasy

I’m not a movie critic, and I don’t have to see every new movie that comes out, but I do have my favorites. I like movies that make me feel like a little kid and have a bit of fairytale magic, which is why I am a big Disney fan. While watching the new Wonka movie I felt just like a little kid that wanted to eat a bunch of candy and dance around my house, so it automatically was added to my list of movies I will watch again and again.

“Wonka” was released on December 15, 2023. It was directed by Paul King and distributed by Warner Bros. The movie is rated PG. It has been nominated for many awards after its release, including the BAFTA award for Outstanding British Film, The Critics’ Choice Movie Award for Best

“Wonka” movie poster. (Courtesy of Warner Bros)

Costume Design and many more.

“Wonka” is based on the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, written in 1964. In 1971 the book was made into a movie,“Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” starring Gene Wilder. In 2005 the movie was remade and it was titled “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” and starred Johnny Depp. The story that the book and those movies tell is about a little boy named Charlie, who was a lucky winner and gets the honor of visiting the great Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory.

The new “Wonka” movie took a different turn to the story and it focuses on the life of Willy Wonka. It is the story of how he came to be a chocolatier. Willy Wonka is played by Timothee Chalamet, and the movie also stars Hugh Grant, Calah Lane and Keegan-Michael Key.

There wasn’t anything that I could pick out that I disliked about the movie. I loved all the songs and the way they were sung was perfect. I also loved the ending of the movie, it even made me tear up a little bit. The candy and chocolate that was shown in the movie looked so delicious and I just wanted to try it all, which was one of my favorite parts about watching the movie.

Some of the bad reviews about the movie revolve around how it does not add up to Gene Wilder’s original. While this may be true as there isn’t as much “weirdness” as there is in the original film, I think it is hard to compare the two when they are not telling the same story. Some also say that Wonka’s character in the movie is not the same as the Wonka that is portrayed in the original movies, but if you think about it he probably isn’t as crazy as he got after years of living with oompa-loompas. Personally, I think it made perfect sense for the young Wonka to be less crazy and more of a hopeful chocolatier.

I think that if you get the chance you should go watch the movie. Although it is not in theaters anymore, you can pre-order it on Prime Video now. It also may soon be on the streaming app Max because Warner Bros. has a partnership with this site and they are who distributed the movie. So if you find a way to watch it, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you love a good sentimental movie.

Our Staff Recommends