(812) 723-3905

Stephen Shines in the Arena

Courtesy of Kyann Stephens
Kyann Stephens shows her pig in 4-H.

Eighth grader Kyann Stephens is a fan of all things country, so much so that one of her biggest hobbies takes her to the farm. 

Stephens is an active member of 4H and competes in numerous contests, including craft projects, and shows both poultry and swine.

Stephens’s brother Keegan got her showing poultry and swine when she was around five. 

“The whole time growing up I was always at my brother’s shows or sitting outside as he would work with his pigs. I would attend 4-H meetings as I was a young child and I became very interested. I just knew that I wanted to show just like my brother,” said Stephens.

Her grandma, Caroline Stephens, has also been a huge help and inspiration so far in her career. 

“To Kyann 4H week is a favorite time of summer. However, there is a lot of effort and hard work put into it. She is learning about responsibility. Kyann is involved in several projects, which takes a lot in order to get ready. I think 4H will give her some skills for the future. Public speaking, commitment, effort, and hard work are all things children need in order to be successful as an adult,” said Caroline. 

She does not just show up for the contests; caring for the animals is a daily chore. 

“Every night, I go and feed my pigs, walk them, and clean their stalls,” said Stephens. “It takes lots of patience and the calmer you are with them, the better they behave,”

So far, Stephens has won several ribbons and banners for her projects. She typically spends much of her summer at the State Fair and local fairs where her projects and animals get entered. 

“I love getting to compete against all of my friends. I really just always have an amazing and exciting time at the fair. Not to mention winning gives me a huge adrenaline rush,” said Stephens.

Not only does being involved in 4H give her banners and ribbons, but it also gives her a hobby and allows her to communicate and connect with others.

“Each year I look forward to meeting new people at the Fair.  There are certain people that I only get to see at the Fair and I get to make so many memories,” said Stephens. 

All year, she raises and takes care of her pigs. 

After the fair, she can auction off her pigs and keep the profit, even though she does not like to see her pigs go. 

“One of the hardest things about showing animals is watching them get sent off to the butcher. As you raise and watch them grow, you get really attached,” said Stephens.

In the future, she would like to make an impact on others. Stephens plans to attend Purdue University and major in agriculture. She would also like to pursue her dream of being a livestock judge.